Red Alert 3 Strategies and Tips
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
In lieu of switching my faction from playing the Empire to the Allied I've needed some strategies. For this reason I stumbled upon a wealth of ideas from red3.org and would like to share them with all interested.

Allied: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/ind...pic=430894

Empire: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/ind...pic=430895

Soviet: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/ind...pic=430893

These should help as they've given me a certain level of competency while playing Allied. I would suggest that Steve make a Red Alert 3 forum for the site, but as there are hardly any topics in General here will suffice. After playing Allied I feel that Empire vehicles are overpowered by their ability to deal with naval combat without necessitating any form of sea build. Also, the official Red Alert 3 site has a series of videos entitled "Command School" that give a wealth of great strategies.

Before moving on to Allied, I'll admit the decision was very much affected by the Victory screen, I played with the Soviets for a couple games on easy to see if I could figure some more strategies after Steve having requested. So, this is my message to Steve about the various tactics that I have thought about.

Firstly, and this goes with any class, when playing against the Soviet, despite being a Soviet, build walls around the refinery. The reason for this is that the first true hassle unit the Soviets obtain is the terror drone. Use these for scouting since they're fast, they kill infantry as well as dogs or bears, and are not affected by barks or roars. In early game it's advisable to rush to sickles (but still build at least two barracks and have those infantry for the start game) and use them wherever there are infantry that need to be taken care of. A couple sickles are better than spending on the turrets, also a couple bullfrogs are better than the anti-air. Though, playing against Empire might require a good amount of bullfrogs as they usually have pretty vast air supremacy. All the money saved should be used on a few tesla coils near the shore and the ground unit entry point of the base.

That should technically be the defense for the Soviet because units are much better than stationary structures. As for attacking, I have no idea why Steve does not use twin blades to hassle shore and water. The greatest tip I can offer is to save rushing to tier 3 until it's absolutely necessary and it won't make a huge dent in the economy. That means no dreadnaughts, kirovs, or apocalypse tanks until there is a way to use them effectively. If I had to suggest a tier 3 vehicle it would be the V4s. Think about attacking once a mobile group of units are saved as the defense. The most common group of units I would use are hammer tanks, with a few bullfrogs and sickles. And of course use twin blades to hassle or take out defense, especially with their transport abilities. Also, if you really want to hassle it would be a good idea to use the stingray sea units.

That's all I have for now. Try the playing in this way against an easy computer to get a feel for it. Steve, you better enjoy this huge post I'm giving your forum. Until next time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey Jonathan, thanks for the great links and strategies. Those choppers really did help out. Although, I still prefer my kirovs for the main assault Wink. They really help out with defense though. Anyways, im going to check out those links to see if I can pick up some new strategies.

See you on the battlefield Jon-O...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2009, 06:44 PM
You've gotten a lot better as a result. Your scouting is excellent, although I've learned the allies' anti-air weapon finally and how to use allies more effectively. I was all wrong with using the infantry anti-air for my main anti-air as they produce hardly any damage. That's what I like about RA3: if something isn't doing a ton of damage, then you're using the wrong unit. Every faction has units that can take down five Kirovs in a snap. Now what would one of my posts be without another one of my favorite guides brought to you by gamereplays.org? Therefore I post this:

http://www.gamereplays.org/redalert3/por...micro-tips

Excellent microing with shortcut key combinations that will make armies sustain a lot less damage. Anyhow, I'm going to continue perusing the allied tips in a hope to destroy Steve someday.
02-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Wow Jon-O, that was some really useful info. Those shortcuts are really going to come in handy for future games, especially the X key! I always seem to get bombed or poisoned....

Glad to see that you're making progress with using the Allied. Matt is going to be glad to hear your tips for allied, I'm sure. He was complaining how "underpowered" the Allied were. Turns out he just wasn't playing them correctly.

Keep the good information and tutorials coming Jon-O!
03-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Man, last night's RA3 session was awesome. I was able to put all of the tips to good use, and I was able to polish my tactics some more. I really love those choppers you suggested Jon-O. Although we weren't able to take on 3 hard computers, we'll get them eventually.
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.gamereplays.org/redalert3/por...ed-alert-3

New useful article above displaying the inherent strategies that each faction possesses. It basically says that Empire are good at harassing, Soviets are better to expand with, and Allies are useful for defense.

I'm finally gaining headway with using the Allies as I can now easily beat a skirmish computer on medium 1v1. I have a feeling skirmish computers are more difficult, at least they seem that way. That's all for now.
06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
One thing that all of the allied guides have failed to mention are the prism tanks (RA2) or mirage tanks. They are extremely efficient at destroying most land units and structures. My strategy is to get a group of 5 or more and blast through whatever is in front of me. It's awesome because they attack multiple targets at once and when fully veteranized they can destroy a soviet super power plant without getting destroyed themselves. ^^