Windows XP - Installation
10-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Windows XP - Installation

First put your Windows XP installation disc in your computer. Once you reboot, you will be greeted with a screen that looks like this. Be sure to press any key during this message. This will be the only time you need to do it.
[Image: t1.png] [Image: t2.png]

Once it gets done loading, you will see a screen to partition your hard drive(s).
Be sure to partition them the way you want them to. Personally, I just setup my drive for one big C:. Once you have them partitioned, you will need to choose between the filesystems. FAT32 is an older filesystem used mainly for compatibility with older Windows versions. NTFS is the recommended choice. Usually the QUICK format will be enough.
[Image: t3.png] [Image: t4.png] [Image: t5.png]

Once the install files are copied over to your computer, the system will reboot. Don't push anything at the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message, as we do not want to boot from cd at this time. Now you should be seeing a much nicer screen when you boot. Just let this screen do its own thing. It will ask you a couple of questions like your name, cd-key, password, computer name, etc. Just fill in the blanks.
[Image: t6.png] [Image: t7.png] [Image: t8.png] [Image: t9.png] [Image: t10.png] [Image: t11.png]

Once again, after everything has finished installing, your computer will reboot. It is now safe to remove your CD. You will see a screen with a dialog box. Read it and click OK. Your screen should now flicker, and it should be rendering at a higher resolution. Click OK. They give you another wave of questions for you to answer. Once again, just fill in the blanks as desired. I personally don't turn on automatic updates and skip the "Internet Connectivity" portion.
[Image: t12.png] [Image: t13.png] [Image: t14.png] [Image: t15.png] [Image: t16.png] [Image: t17.png] [Image: t18.png]

Congratulations, you have just successfully installed Windows XP! You are now free to install device drivers, and desired applications! Don't forget to install firefox and visit your favorite website.... http://adversity.gameover.com :icon_wink:
[Image: t19.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanx Steven. i needed to install xp and the cd i had was in some crazy lang. saved me some time just looking at your pictures. just wanted to let you know your time has helped more than one now. you would think i would know how to install xp by now blind but Linux has tainted my knowledge. power to the Penguin!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply